My name is Michael.
I’m passionate about helping my students achieve their goals, both in training for academic success as well as general knowledge that can be used for life.
I’ve been teaching for several years now, first in Cambodia and now in Vietnam. I have a great love for Vietnamese culture and traditions, and have also begun learning the Vietnamese language recently, as well.
When I’m not teaching, I also enjoy several hobbies including reading, traveling, movies, and photography.
Hope to meet you soon!
I've been teaching for around 4 years now. I've taught hundreds of students, both in private tutoring as well in the classroom. While many of my students were academically gifted or achieved academic success through hard work, I'm most proud of helping my students develop a lifelong love for learning.
Sơ yếu lý lịch
--Dedicated and well-trained CELTA certified education professional with focus on teaching English as a foreign language as well as other academic subjects, such as math, geography, and science. Emphasis has been on making learning both fun and tangible. Formal training in science, mathematics, music, and philosophy, coupled with extensive international travel and experience working in many diverse cultural settings.
Instructor Emasi school Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam 2019
• Taught general English to grade 4 students at the brand new Emasi school during their six-week summer program.
• Taught one-week teacher training program for new Vietnamese teaching faculty.
Instructor DTP Academy Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam 2018-2019
• Taught general English to both adult learners as well as young learners.
• Created course outlines for IELTS classes using Mindset for IELTS books.
• Performed assessment tests determining students’ English levels according to CEFR standards.
Instructor KEP INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL Kep, Cambodia 2015 to 2018
• Worked as instructor of English, mathematics, science, and geography for preparatory and primary school students. Developed and enhanced school curriculum.
• Conceptualized and performed science experiments for student enrichment and educational reinforcement. Key examples included concepts in biology and chemistry.
• Created and administered chess class and student club.
• Served as school swim instructor for primary school children.
Intern LIBRARY OF ANTHROPOLOGY Santa Fe, New Mexico 2012
• Organized and executed large book sale in support of critical library funding.
• Managed library book collection and archives.
Instructor HABARI NJEMA SCHOOL Ukunda, Kenya 2010
• Taught English, mathematics, and geography to 10-17 year-old students.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
-- Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA): 120-hour teaching course (2018).
-- Graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree from St. John’s College in Annapolis, Maryland. Studied music, philosophy, mathematics, and science (2012-2015).
-- Completed the summer program “Empire and the Soul” at the Rome Institute of Liberal Arts in Rome, Italy (June and July 2014). Studied art history and politics.
-- Studied violin performance and music theory at the Music School of Delaware (Wilmington, Delaware) under Janka Perniss (2007-2010).
Phong cách giảng dạy
My highest goal is always to help students find the joy in mathematics. Through a variety of mathematical games, riddles, and puzzles, I try to help my students develop the ability to think creatively, not just memorize rules and formulas. I also emphasize this through showing how often a mathematical question can be analyzed and solved in more than one way. Through patient instruction and asking the relevant guiding questions, I help my students not only improve their mathematical reasoning, but also their level of confidence and their capacity to find joy in mathematics, one of the world's greatest universal languages.